I started the project by research about the aesthetic, behavioural definitions, form language, materiality and interface of different cameras. To do this, I gathered information about different cameras and their materials and their design background. I also use the paper model to help myself to experience the feeling of using those cameras.
I also research and interview ‘playful’ people and lifestyle, which can help me to understand what people and scenario I am facing in this project. The outcome of this study is a user persona that I can reference during the rest of the project.
One of my initial concept is a camera that can be triggered by people who is playing arm wrestling game in the party to work on. The idea is that the user always wishes to use the camera to record happy moments at the party; however, because everyone is having fun, so everyone forgot to take enough photos. Therefore, a playful camera that can combine playing a party game and record all the happy moment is needed.
Initial Concept Storyboard
After I developed my initial user experience concept, I started to create a shape that can match the user experience and answer the brief. I started with sketches and made them into 3D prototypes. Refine them through testing them with different materials, colours, size and detail. During this process, I also reflect the form which I was refining back to the user experience, which helps me polish the details in the experience and interaction between the user and my design.
In the outcome, the user uses the camera form two opposite side of the camera at the same time. Each user grip one handles to play the arm-wrestling game. The camera will take photos for the winner at the moment he/she wins, and the photo will pop up on top of the camera and facing the loser.
The main body of the camera allows users to draw whatever they want, increase the playability.
The light inside of the camera can hide when it is not in use, but tells people how close are they to lose or win during the game, which makes the game more intense.
Results of the design